“A high-quality science education provides the foundations for understanding the world through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics. Science has changed our lives and is vital to the world’s future prosperity, and all pupils should be taught essential aspects of the knowledge, methods, processes and uses of science” (DfE, 2015)
Our Science Curriculum
Studies have identified the primary years as the period when students form their interests in STEM identities and careers. At Heath Mount, our aim is to provide a hands on Science curriculum, which empowers pupils to explore and discover the world around them. We intend for children to develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of Science and to encourage curiosity so that they ask questions that fuel explorations and investigations about the world we live in. We aim to make science teaching and learning fun, interactive, productive, relevant and creative. Our children should be equipped with the scientific skills required to understand the uses and implications of science, today and for the future. We understand that it is important for lessons to have a skills-based focus, and that the knowledge can be taught through this. Our Science Curriculum allows children to practise cross-curricular maths, writing and ICT skills. We actively encourage our pupils to express their ideas both written and orally. All theories are accepted with respect so that children feel confident in sharing ideas, they can develop a positive attitude towards science and so that their natural curiosity towards scientific thinking is nurtured. We want children who experience our science curriculum to develop an understanding and awareness of the importance that science plays in influencing our lives on all levels.
As part of the Science planning and teaching process at Heath Mount:
- Science lessons are planned and taught once a week. Each lesson must incorporate the teaching of new skills and knowledge.
- Planning for Science will be completed using Developing Experts platform, which gives teachers the freedom to tailor a bespoke curriculum for the needs of their children.
- A stunning start to the topic, a ‘hook’ that engages our children and gives the text of learning.
- Each topic will have a sequence of 6 lessons which are mapped according to the needs of the children. Each lesson will contain retrieval of previous knowledge, teaching of new knowledge and skills as well as vocabulary, and will give the children an opportunity to master the skills and knowledge taught within the lesson through the ‘Explain’ and ‘Elaborate’ activities.
- The lessons are planned with clear objectives, knowledge and vocabulary which the children will be exposed to throughout the lesson. There should be clear progression throughout the lesson.
- There will be KWL grids at the start of each topic, which will be completed weekly by the children. These will be colour coded to show progression of learning and skills throughout the topic. These grids will also give the children the opportunity to write any questions which they would like answered and any misconceptions they may have. Children are encouraged to formulate questions and lines of enquiry.
- Lesson must begin with Children will be exposed to Tier 3/Subject specific vocabulary within each lesson.
- Lessons will be of a similar structure: ‘Prepare for Learning’, which is a low stakes quiz which retrieves previous knowledge; ‘Explore’, during which children are exposed to new learning of skills and knowledge and are given the opportunity to raise questions and discussion; ‘Explain’ and ‘Elaborate’, which are challenge and reasoning questions which will allow children to apply their learning in an open manner or in an alternative context; ‘Review’, which will focus on consolidation and retrieval as well a review of learning.
- A Fabulous Finish to end the topic with a celebration of what has been learnt. An opportunity to express their learning to parents.