The national curriculum for mathematics aims to ensure that all pupils:
§ become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
§ reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language
§ can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
Our Maths Curriculum
At Heath Mount Primary School we believe that mathematics equips pupils with a uniquely powerful set of tools, through developing an ability to calculate, reason and solve problems. It enables children to understand and appreciate relationships and patterns in both number and space in their everyday lives. Through their growing knowledge and understanding, they also learn to appreciate the contribution made by many people to the development and application of mathematics.
It is our aim to develop:
· A growth mindset about ability to learn mathematics
· A positive attitude towards mathematics and an awareness of how fascinating elements of mathematics can be
· Competence and confidence with numbers and the number system and other mathematical knowledge, concepts and skills
· Problem solvers, who can reason, think logically, work systematically and apply their knowledge of mathematics
· An ability to communicate using mathematical language
· An ability to work both independently and with others